Monday, April 23, 2012

Calculating Tithes Properly


A tithe is a tenth. The tenth part of your income. It is ten percent of your income. You don’t owe God any tithes until he has given you a blessing in form of an income, a gift, wage earning, salary, commission, profit, produce from your farm or any other blessing he brings your way.

Abraham paid tithes on all the spoils from the battle field.

“And Melchizedek king of Salem brought forth bread and wine: and he was the priest of the most high God. And he blessed him, and said, Blessed be Abram of the most high God, possessor of heaven and earth: And blessed be the most high God, which hath delivered thine enemies into thy hand. And he gave him tithes of all.” (Genesis 14:18 -20)

This account is also repeated in the book of Hebrews.

For this Melchisedec, king of Salem, priest of the most high God, who met Abraham returning from the slaughter of the kings, and blessed him; To whom also Abraham gave a tenth part of all; first being by interpretation King of righteousness, and after that also King of Salem, which is, King of peace; (Hebrews 7:1-2)

Jacob entered into a covenant with God at Bethel that if he was blessed, he would give the tenth of all.

And Jacob rose up early in the morning, and took the stone that he had put for his pillows, and set it up for a pillar, and poured oil upon the top of it. And he called the name of that place Bethel: but the name of that city was called Luz at the first. And Jacob vowed a vow, saying, If God will be with me, and will keep me in this way that I go, and will give me bread to eat, and raiment to put on, So that I come again to my father's house in peace; then shall the LORD be my God: And this stone, which I have set for a pillar, shall be God's house: and of all that thou shalt give me I will surely give the tenth unto thee. (Genesis 28:18 – 22)

It was only when his blessing came, that he would pay tithe. You cannot pay tithe on what you do not have. No one is able to give what he does not have.

Payment of tithe covers everything that you can classify as an income or a blessing from the Lord. If you are employed and you earn a monthly salary, you owe God the tenth of your salary. If in addition to your regular employment you run a private commercial business in the evening after work, you owe God Tithes on the income from this additional business which is an additional blessing. You also pay tithe on the gifts you receive.

Knowing how to calculate your tithes is therefore important. I recognize that it is not always easy to calculate a tenth on every blessing. There are some blessings God will expect us to use our heart not our mind to calculate the tithe. For instant if your child gets a gift of a toy from a friend. You use your heart to calculate what you would give to God as tithe to keep the flow of these sorts of gifts coming.

The words of Jesus in the book of Matthew 23:23 clearly demonstrate that tithing need to be done from the heart.

Woe unto you, scribes and Pharisees, hypocrites! for ye pay tithe of mint and anise and cummin, and have omitted the weightier matters of the law, judgment, mercy, and faith: these ought ye to have done, and not to leave the other undone.(Matthew 23:23)

Calculation Methods
Let us now examine in details how tithes ought to be calculated for various classes of people by applying simple examples. I have intentionally left out the currency since this will vary from one nation to another. However, the principles remain the same.

(a) Employed people
Basic Salary                   -        10,000
Housing Allowance        -           2,000
Transport Allowance     -           1,500
13,500
Deductions
1.     TAX (P.A.Y.E)- 30% of basic salary
2.     National Social Security Fund – 200
3.     Cooperative Society (SACCO) – 1,000
4.     Loan Repayment – 1,500

Note: this is just an example. Taxation depends on governments fiscal policies which vary from one nation to another, while other items quoted may be optional in most cases.

From the above figures, the actual cash payment to this employee at the end of the month will be:
Basic                                                 -        10,000
Housing Allowance                 -        2,000
Transport Allowance              -        1,500
Gross Pay                               -        13,500

Less
P.A.Y.E. (30% of Basic Salary)       -        3,000
National Social Security Fund -        200
Cooperative Society                -        1,000
Loan Repayment                     -        1,500
Total Deductions                              -        5,700

Net Salary Paid                      -        7,800

Even though on paper this person has a total pay packet of 13,500, the actual take home is 7,800.

I recommend paying tithe on your actual take home amount. This is because  this is what you have control over. So using our case above, the tithe payable is ten percent (10%) of 7,800. The tithe will thus be 780

However I will hasten to add here that if you prefer doing it this way, then it will be important for you to pay tithes on the benefits you draw from your cooperative society, National Social Security Fund and the loans you get.

The other common applicable approach is to pay tithe from your gross pay less government taxes which in our case is can be calculated as follows:

Gross Salary                           -13,500
Less
P.A.Y.E                                  -3,000
National Social Security Fund -200

Net Amount to tithe on          -10,300

Tithe to be ten percent (10%) of 10,300 which is equal to 1,030. This approach will then exempt you from paying tithe on loans and other refunds you draw from cooperative society etc.

P.A.Y.E and National Social Security Fund deductions are statutory government deductions that are deducted at the source by the employer and the employee has no control over that. In some countries or states we may have other additional statutory deductions.

Cooperative deductions and loan repayment deductions are all private arrangements. They are not statutory or mandatory. The deductions are made because the worker chose to enjoy those facilities. So those deductions should be considered as monies received and then returned back voluntarily.


(b) Self Employed Business People
Self employed and business people should start by establishing a trading cycle. This means they should know when they start a season or period of trading and when they complete it. A good example is closing accounts every end month to see profits made or analyzing a contract after completion to confirm profits made. Then tithe should be based on the net profit realized not on the investment. Notice that net profit is calculated by removing expenses from the gross profit.

Take the following example for better understanding.

If you buy a product at 10,000 and sell it at 15,000, you have made gross profit of 5,000. But this is not your net profit since you must have incurred other costs in selling the item. Let us take for instance that you spent 300 to advertise the item in the local news paper, 200 to repackage the item and, 1000 to transport the item to the buyer.

The net profit will be worked as follows:

Sale value             -15,000
Less
Purchase Price      -10,000
Advertising           -300
Repackaging         -200
Transport             -1,000
Total Cost            -11,500

Net profit = Sale minus total cost = 15,000 – 11,500 = 3,500

The net profit is 3,500 which should be the basis of calculating your tithe. The payable tithe in this instance is ten percent of 3,500 which is 350

We pay tithe with joy and love and therefore the above calculations should not make paying tithe look like a punishment. The Holy Spirit will teach you and guide you on how to calculate your tithe with ease.

45 comments:

  1. I think the tithe is 10% of your GROSS PAY, because you give God first then the Government (God is second to none). So make the deduction of 10% first give then let the rest including government make there deductions etc etc etc. GOD FIRST.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gross Pay is better for the church, but net pay is also acceptable. It depend on where you're heart says that will give glory to God.
    ... For God loveth a cheerful giver. God bless everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this advice! I've always returned tithe on the gross, because when I get my income tax return I only give an offering. However, I need some advice about what is the common calculation for giving an offering. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When Im blessed with "Extra" money,I ask the Lord ( days "Before" I go to church)how much do I give off this offering,and then I wait for God to tell me.If I dont hear from him ,then I give what my heart say to give.If I had an extra $20.00,then i would give $10.00 or the whole $20.00 ,ask God to bless it because I'm giving from my heart and THANK God for it. Remember, when you give out of "Obligation " you are not giving in faith.You give cheerfully, willingly, and joyfully with expectation that the Lord will give you what you need and more added. ( Matt 6:33&,Luke 6:38)
      The Lord "Gives" every person a seed to sow. Having just "Coins" (Quarters,nickles dimes,and pennies)is a seed ( "IF" THAT IS ALL YOU HAVE) as well as paper money. "Giving" tithes &offerings is a"Heart" issue.

      Delete
  4. I have a strange case .... I have a huge housing loan from my office and also housing loan from a bank totaling to the tune of Rs. 50,000/-. My Gross salary is around Rs 1,40,000/- but after all deductions / recoveries it works out to be only around 50,000 ... this month there was also a huge IT recovery and am left with only 35,000 ... so going by gross I have only 35,000-14000 that is 21000 which is a really tight situation. Please pray for me brothers and sisters !!! Praise God .... Halleluiah !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. God be your help and destroy all cankerworm and wasters in your income. God is a compassionate He will lift u up .
      Shallom

      Delete
    2. May God meet you at the point of your need. Jesus Christ is the true vine, remain in him and he will remain in you and you will bear much fruits. God will restore all the years the cankerworm stole from you like the sister/brother above stated. Remain blessed🙏

      Delete
  5. As far as how much to give based of monthly income, I am still confused on how to calculate the tithing. Do I subtract all the real expenses: (Rent, groceries, utilities, kids college funds and etc) before I determine how much to tithe? My question revolves around the fact that if I tithe 10% of my total income I may end up finding myself short the monthly bills?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tithe off your gross because that is what you actually make "Before " anything is deducted.
      If you can, see if you can lower your payments on something that is not a "Necessity " that you can do without,or make it easier "To" pay tithes. Ex: if im putting $200.00 away in my daughter's college fund,guess what?I going to decrease it and give $50.00, $75.00 or $100.00 a month.
      When I get paid i take out Two weeks of my tithes ,so I wont have to worry about figuring out how to tithe and covering that tithe,,as long as I'm "Tithing" my gross.My opinion

      Delete
    2. Tithe is off first fruits... meaning before all else is paid God receives the best or pick of the litter... thus allowing Him to take what you have left and stretch it farther then if you never paid tithe. Now the tithe represents God's money being returned to its owner... I suggest for the blessing give what is yours to give out of which is the 90 percent which belongs to you. To experince the full make up of this not so much ten commandment law but an operating governerning law to add a 1 or more percentage to the ten to experience the real blessing of this. And if you do this do it for 30 days to see the change. One check just isn't enough seed development time. So try 11 percent or a dollar amount above the 10 and just watch and expect God to keep His Word.

      Delete
  6. My understanding is Tithes is giving what you have.On what I have control over because I believe God don't want his children to suffer.Growing up as a student I use to give from my pocket money that I received from my Mother but Now because I have kids I give from what I take home Instate of running straight to take out,clothes and luxury stuff I separate my tithe then do what I need to do.With God Little is too much

    ReplyDelete
  7. My understanding is Tithes is giving what you have.On what I have control over because I believe God don't want his children to suffer.Growing up as a student I use to give from my pocket money that I received from my Mother but Now because I have kids I give from what I take home Instate of running straight to take out,clothes and luxury stuff I separate my tithe then do what I need to do.With God Little is too much

    ReplyDelete
  8. What makes everything enough or not enough is what we do or don't do. When we pay our tithe correctly, it becomes Gods duty to make sure everything remaining is sufficient. But when we do not, it becomes our responsibility. Mal 3:9-12. When we obey God five loafs and two fishes will be too much to feed 5,000 men minus women. The Key is obedience from a joyful heart with expectation of a reward. Thanks all. My prayer is God help us to OBEY.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Based on my faith upon hearing the word you cant give what you dont have. The tithes is reasonable to be cut off from the net pay. Cause you already use that taxes, its not yours, its not in your hands.then the take home pay is the money you have which you can give??? Btw this is my faith. God bless you and every prospers in Jesus name.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been thinking about this for long and now I have an answer.

    ReplyDelete
  11. First Fruits!!!! Thats Gross Pay. And its a huge Sacrifice. If you have been in this for long you will definitely understand the JOY of giving all you have; God knows what we want even before we ask. We shall be Blessed always. Coz if you Tithe based on your Net, then what about the Loan Repayment Deductions on your Slip? They are your own making therefore you have to deal with them yourself. Give God's dues first, then worry about your Budget as an aftermath

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do you tithe annually or monthly of your gross?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I believe a tenth of your gross is what is right.

    And Adam knew Eve as his wife, and she became pregnant and bore Cain; and she said, I have gotten and gained a man with the help of the Lord. 2 And [next] she gave birth to his brother Abel. Now Abel was a keeper of sheep, but Cain was a tiller of the ground. 3 And in the course of time Cain brought to the Lord an offering of the fruit of the ground. 4 And Abel brought of the firstborn of his flock and of the fat portions. And the Lord had respect and regard for Abel and for his offering, 5 But for Cain and his offering He had no respect or regard. So Cain was exceedingly angry and indignant, and he looked sad and depressed. Genesis 4:1-5 AMP

    Verse 3 says that Cain brought to the Lord an offering of the fruit of the ground in the course of time. The King James says he brought it in the process of time. Abel brought his first fruits, but Cain brought his leftovers.

    Some people think that God rejected Cain's offering because He prefers meat over vegetables, but that is not true. God does not expect anyone to bring what they do not have. By faith, Abel put God first. Before he partook of the fruit of his labor, he honored God with his first and his best–the firstborn of his flock and of the fat portions. God was pleased and received Abel's offering. After a while Cain brought a portion of his harvest to the Lord, but it was not his first fruits, neither was it his best. Obviously, Cain had no faith in God and no respect for Him. Cain grew angry when God had no respect for him or his offering and when He did not receive or accept it. When Cain saw that his offering was not accepted, he could have and should have repented and changed his own attitude and behavior. However, he got mad at Abel, who was accepted, and killed him instead.

    Many people do what Cain did–they spend their money and pay all their other bills before they bring their offering to the Lord. The tithe is the first fruits–the first tenth of all your increase–of all your income. God honored Abel because he brought the first fruits of the flock. Your attitude in your giving is a huge part of your giving. People might see your gift, but God sees your heart and your gift. God knows when you are putting Him first and honoring Him in your giving or not. God does honor first fruits, but He rejects leftovers. The Bible says that Cain was very angry and depressed. This is what happens to you when you bring God your leftovers. People who are angry and depressed–mad at God and mad at believers who are blessed–are people who have been bringing God their leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for the explanation and clarification!!! I don't know who you are but your writings is clear. May the Lord continue to bless you!!!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for your clarity I believe God deserves the best and the first fruit . I see some comments say pay other Bill's first but I love this explanation God bless thanks

      Delete
    3. This is exactly what i needed. It will guide me to my tithing through the help of the Holy Spirit. You are very clear may God bless this ministry forever. Amen

      Delete
  14. Let's paint a scenario. What if I earn N100,000 and transport to office on a monthly basis amounts to N18,000 am I suppose to pay tithe of N100,00 or N82,000?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pay tithes from what you received
      Because that's what God blessed you and He already knew that what he has blessed you with will contain your transportation and everything else after given back his 10%.

      Delete
  15. Can the tithe be split? For example, if my tithe is $400, is it okay to split it between pastors/churches/organizations that have fed me spiritually, and also the poor or does it have to be given to one place only?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Give your tithe to only your pastor

    ReplyDelete
  17. Thank you very much i really appreciate what you explain.

    ReplyDelete
  18. What if i am a daily earner,am I supposed to tithe at the end of the week or wait until the end of month??

    ReplyDelete
  19. Good deliberation of giving tithe. It is 10 percent of what you receive at your hand. The important question is to give this 10 percent to whom?..to church or to poor or to widow?. If the church is run as temple of God by people like Levis who do not have any heritage or property , then we can follow the procedure in the bible. Jesus never tells to give tithe to priest in fact he was dead against the priests..

    ReplyDelete
  20. A good lesson. Your hear and Holy Spirit will guide you through giving and paying tithes faithfully, timely and cheerfully. Be blessed. Do it only when you are alive for dead billionaire can not pay. They are not allowed to give any form of giving.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Am payed 17,000 how much is my tithe

    ReplyDelete
  22. I was given 15000 please how much should I give as tithe thank you

    ReplyDelete
  23. Eye opening and clear cut, surely I believe the gross salary makes me feel I have put The Lord first

    ReplyDelete
  24. If I sell a property ,do I use 10% of the total property or 10% of the gain on the sale?

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi! I earn 17000 net pay after loans and Sacco. How much should I give as tithe?

    ReplyDelete
  26. Pla am earning 50k how much can i give as my tithe??

    ReplyDelete
  27. thanks for your meaningful comments am well advised

    ReplyDelete
  28. How do you tithe if you no longer have a Church home. Where do you tithe. Is it ok to tithe to a Church you may not belong to?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Where do you pay tithes if you have
    no Church home? Is it ok to pay tithes to a Church that you have not officially joined?

    ReplyDelete
  30. please i need sme clarity on the 10% tithe, who does it go to... is it the widow, the needy in society or the priest of the church? Because in recent times the priest, pastors we see look good and affluent owning luxurious cars, mansion etc whiles sme members of the congregation of the church live in abject poverty....so wht happens to these tithe paid to the church, why shd members of the church be seen struggling to survive

    ReplyDelete
  31. please i need sme clarity on the 10% tithe, who does the it go to... is it the widow, the needy in society or the priest of the church? Because in recent times the priest, pastors we see look good and affluent owning luxurious cars, mansion etc whiles sme members of the congregation of the church live in abject poverty....so wht happens to these tithe paid to the church, why shd members of the church be seen struggling to survive

    ReplyDelete